Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lorna's Delicious Broccoli Salad


The moment I tasted Lorna's Broccoli Salad, I knew this would be a salad I craved!  Lorna, so kindly, shared her recipe with me and it has become one of my favorite dishes to prepare for company.  I have added my own twist to the recipe...hope you enjoy!  

(Note:  If I am taking this recipe to a pot-luck, I package the salad, dressing and tortellini separately.)

Salad:
1 lb. browned, drained, and chopped bacon
1/2 cup finely, diced, red onion
3 small bunches of broccoli
 1 cup diced button mushrooms
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1 cup lightly, salted cashew pieces

Pasta:
2 cups cooked, 3-Cheese Tortellini

Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 cup light mayonnaise

Instructions:
1. Fry the bacon until crisp and drain on a paper towel.  Chop the bacon into bite size pieces.  (Set aside a few pieces of bacon for garnish.)  Add to a large mixing bowl.

2.  Dice the red onion and add to the bowl.  Next, chop the broccoli and mushrooms into bite size pieces.  Add.  Also, add the dried cranberries and cashew pieces to the bowl.  Cover and refrigerate.

3.  Following the package instructions, prepare the tortellini.  Refrigerate until ready to serve the salad.

4.  Finally, mix the sugar, white vinegar, and mayo in a jar or covered plastic container.  Shake to mix the ingredients.

5.  Just before serving...combine the tortellini and dressing. Add to the bowl containing the broccoli ingredients.  Mix gently.  Garnish with bits of bacon. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment