Friday, December 24, 2010

Aunt Joann's Baked Beans

My father's niece, Joann, had a family cook-off for baked beans.  Joann's baked beans were my favorite and I have made them for my family ever since the cook-off.  The serving size is large and the recipe fills a slow cooker.  I have found the recipe can be reduced successfully.  


March 4, 2016: It is with much sadness that I learned today, Aunt Joann passed away.  She fought the battle against cancer for ten years.  I will always remember our last hug and her smile.

Aunt Joann's Baked Beans

1 pound lean hamburger
1 finely chopped medium onion
2 ~ 28 oz. cans of drained Bush's Original Baked Beans (see note below)
8  sliced Old Wisconsin Premium Wieners
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar

Brown hamburger and onions.  Drain off fat.  Place in a slow cooker.  Add rest of ingredients and mix together.  Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or bake in a casserole for 30 minutes at 350' F.

Note:  I reserve the liquid in a container and refrigerate it.  If the baked beans seem to be too dry, then I add the liquid as needed.


<

No comments:

Post a Comment